The Coway air purifiers currently are the most reliable and efficient on the market. The variety of air purifies is impressive, you definitely will find the one that will suit your needs.
Unfortunately, like any smart appliance, your Coway air purifier needs maintenance and it is required to know the basics of how to clean, change the filter or fix the reset indicator error. This article will guide you through the most common issues that can happen with your device.
- 1 Instructions on how to clean Coway air purifier
- 2 How do you clean the filter on a Coway air purifier?
- 3 How do I install a filter in a Coway air purifier?
- 4 How do I know if my HEPA filter is dirty?
- 5 The Coway air purifier pollution level indicator
- 6 How can I fix a red light on a Coway air purifier?
- 7 How to reset the Coway air purifier
- 8 The force reset of the Coway air purifier
- 9 Maintaining your Coway air purifier
- 10 How do you clean a Coway air purifier 400?
- 11 Conclusion
Instructions on how to clean Coway air purifier
First of all, you must remember to unplug the power cord from the electric outlet before cleaning your air purifier.
Secondly, never soak the air purifier in water, and always use a cloth for cleaning.
Finally, any detergents that contain organic solvents will harm the air purifier.
Cleaning the vent with a detachable vent grille
- Start by lifting the detachable vent grille of the vent.
- Using a vacuum cleaner removes all the visible dirt from the air purifier.
- It is crucial to be extra careful when cleaning the vent to not let any dust fall inside the air purifier.
How do you clean a Coway sensor?
If the area has excessive dust, it is recommended to clean the air quality sensor every couple of months.
- Using the slots at the back of the air purifier, start opening the air quality sensor cover.
- Start cleaning the dirt off the air quality sensor and the air inlet with a soft brush. To reduce the amount of dust flying around it is possible to use a vacuum cleaner as well.
Cleaning the Coway air purifier body and the front cover
- Start by carefully removing the front cover from your air purifier.
- Use a dry cloth to clean off the dust that has built up.
- If the dirt caused severe contamination you will have to scrub the area with a soft damp cloth to get rid of it.
The pre-filter cleaning process
- Locate the front cover and open the top part of it.
- Holding the handle of the pre-filter take it out of the air purifier.
- Investigate the level of the contamination and based upon its severity either use a damp cloth to wipe off the dust or a vacuum cleaner.
- Make sure you dry the pre-filter before inserting it back.
- Once it is dry, place it back into the compartment and close the front cover.
Regards to the body of the Coway air purifier, the soft dry cloth should be sufficient to remove dust.
How do you clean the filter on a Coway air purifier?
The Coway air purifier consists of three filters, each used for filtering different impurities.
- The pre-filter fights large dust and mold particles.
- The deodorization filter absorbs any odor smell.
- The HEPA filter fights fine dust and cigarette smoke, removing over 99% of it.
The filters are the major part of the air purifier hence they have to be cleaned frequently. It is recommended to change them at least once a year. If you live in an area with heavy pollution, you might need to shorten the filter replacement cycle and do it once every half a year to ensure indoor air quality in your house.
It is important to use only genuine Coway accessories for the optimal performance of your device.
It may also be useful for you to read the article How to clean Holmes air purifier: Tips and tricks.
How do I install a filter in a Coway air purifier?
- Open the top part of the front cover so you can access the filters.
- Start with the pre-filter. Pull it out of the air purifier.
- Take the HEPA filter and the deodorization filter out and inspect their condition whether they can be cleaned or not.
- If the filters are substantially dirty, they have to be replaced with new ones. Insert the new filters into the compartment and close the front cover.
How do I know if my HEPA filter is dirty?
You have to open up your Coway air purifier to determine whether the HEPA filter needs to be cleaned or not. If you see the chunks of dirt and the color of the filter is black, that indicates the need for the replacement of the filter.
The Coway air purifier pollution level indicator
The pollution level indicator determines how much impurity is up in the air around you. Each color appearing on the round lamp has its own meaning:
- The blue light indicates that the air is clean.
- The dark purple color is an indication of pollution.
- The green color is an indication of light contamination.
- The yellow color defines heavily contaminated air.
- The red light alerts you about severe contamination.
How can I fix a red light on a Coway air purifier?
If your Coway air purifier has been running for a couple of hours and the red light stays on meaning that the air quality hasn’t improved, try regulating the particle sensor.
To correct the sensor sensitivity that is what you have to do:
- Locate the ionizer button and the speed button on the top panel of your air purifier.
- Push and hold both buttons at the same for a few seconds for the speed indicator activation.
- The speed indicator will start flashing with a second interval. The flashing of the speed indicator represents the sensor sensitivity that you can modify.
- Hit the speed button and choose the sensitive, moderate, or intense sensitivity.
- Finish the setup by holding the speed button and the ionizer button simultaneously for a couple of seconds or just leave for 10 seconds for the auto mode to kick in and the selected settings to be activated.
How to reset the Coway air purifier
The resetting of the Coway air purifier means adjusting the settings after replacing the filter. The reset will also have to be performed if you’ve changed the filters before the filter replacement cycle to activate the factory default setting. This is what you have to do:
- When the filter replacement indicator starts flashing it means the replacement of the filter has to be conducted.
- If you see the odor LED flashing you have to replace the deodorizing filter. If the HEPA LED is flashing it indicates the HEPA filter has to be replaced.
- After the performance of the filter replacement cycle, the filter replacement indicator has to be resettled by pushing the reset button for a couple of seconds.
The force reset of the Coway air purifier
The reset function must be activated if you change any filter before the replacement cycle.
- To activate the reset function, you have to push the reset button for a couple of seconds.
- Then depending on the filter you have changed and which the reset indicator flashes, press the reset button once for a deodorizing replacement of the filter and twice for a HEPA replacement of the filter.
- Hit and hold the reset button for two seconds.
Your Coway air purifier is reset and ready to work in auto mode.
Maintaining your Coway air purifier
Sometimes the air purifier might stop working. Below are the main reasons that could happen and the troubleshooting steps you can try to sort out the issue.
No air blowing in the Coway air purifier
There could be two reasons for no air blowing in your device.
- It can be caused by the power cord being disconnected from the socket.
- The other reason is the front cover not being closed properly. Close the front cover and turn the auto-mode on your air purifier.
Bad smell coming from the air purifier
This is the filter replacement indicator. Proceed with checking the pre-filter, the deodorizing filter, and the high-efficiency particulate air filter. Open the front cover and inspect the dust particles. If they aren’t large, you can try and clean the filters using a soft brush. In other cases, the replacement of the filters might be needed.
How do you clean a Coway air purifier 400?
The process will not differ from cleaning any other Coway air purifier.
- Start opening the front cover so the pre-filter can be removed.
- Delicately clean the filters with a soft brush to ensure no damage is done to the parts.
- The sensor for air quality has to be cleaned as well. Do not use too much water. Wiping with a damp cloth should be enough. Once you are done, close the air quality sensor cover.
- Adjust the particle sensor if needed to extend the time frame for the desired sensitivity by pressing the speed indicator button.
- Reset the air purifier to activate the auto mode.
How often should HEPA filters be replaced?
It depends on the environment, but it is recommended to change them every six to twelve months. The carbon pre-filter has to be changed every three months.
Can HEPA filters be washed and reused?
Depending on your model some of them can be washed and reused. Read the label before cleaning.
Can I just clean my air purifier filter?
If the filter is not extremely dirty, you can try and clean it gently with a brush. Otherwise, a replacement will be needed.
Is it possible to clean the Coway sensor using a vacuum cleaner?
It is possible if you are extra careful to not allow dust fall inside air purifiers.
Knowing how your air purifier is functioning and its basic characteristics are essential as your health depends on the quality of the air you are breathing in. Clean or replace the filters as per the user manual to ensure the top performance of your device.
If this article helped you, please share it with other people so they can also find out about how to clean Coway air purifier. If you have any questions left, post them in the comment section below.
My name is Ami Moore. I am a teacher by education, but I do not work in this field.
I feel an urgent need to share the best practices and my conclusions about air cleaners with my readers. After all, I understand that choosing the right air purifier takes time. Finding and selecting the right air purifier can quickly get complicated with so many brands, technologies, and styles.
I strive to educate my readers to help them make informed decisions to focus on what matters most: health and wellness.
I ran into many questions on this topic when I had to improve the air in my house and tried to study them as best I could. And it is these thoughts that I share with my readers.